IPMS UK Canberra SIG

Forums

Forum Home > Photo Builds > Airfix 1/48 Canberra B.2 into Martin EB.57A

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

After much deliberation I've decided to go for a 1/48 EB.57A using the Airfix B.2 as my starting point. I'm not sure how well this will work out but I'm going to give it a good shot! Progress my be a bit slow on this one as the cockpit interior will need some major mod's, but it should be fun! :)  Photos to follow soon.

John 

May 14, 2013 at 4:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Let battle commence! First job is to fill the panel lines that are not applicable to the B.57A, luckily there isn't that much. As you may be able to see from the drawing behind the model I'll need to add a few extra panels though.

John  

May 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

And the same process underway on the wings, those of you who watched the B.57G build will be familiar with the work involved. This wing differs in that it will be the four x.50 cal. wing.

John 

May 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Glad you finally decided on 1/48 scale John. This will look super in the larger scale.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Gary :)

May 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at May 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Glad you finally decided on 1/48 scale John. This will look super in the larger scale.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I know, in the end I thought it would look better BIG too, I just hope the bomb bay doors behave themselves! :)

I've scanned the drawings in the B.57A Repair manual and I've discovered another shape issue with the Airfix Canberra. The front end is just about spot on the only slight problem is the extreme nose being a bit off, but nothing major. The thing I picked up is the extreme tail end as you will see from the following photo Airfix has made this area a bit on the thin side, it's nothing too bad, but if you want to get it right it needs fixing. Will I fix it? I don't know! This will apply to Every Canberra except the B.57E. Also of not is the miss match of the frames.

John

May 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Work is well underway with the filling and re-scribing. As you will see from the following photos I'm concentrating on the fusalage first. I've marked out the newly engraved panels in red.

This next photo showing the work on the rear fusalage. The panel line I've had to fill that I wrongly placed was down to the fact I was using Airfix's misplaced Frame 31B as the datum for my measurements. I'll re-engrave the frame 31B further forward, then start again. Of the four filled lines, the one third from the left dosn't exist on the aircraft and the forth needs moveing to the right.

John

May 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Interesting observations on both the tail cone shape and the panel line locations John. Just to clarify, do these details apply to the English Electric Canberra's as well as the B-57? At this rate there's not going to be much left of the original kit!

May 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Hi Gary

The tail cone would apply to every Canberra Mk. apart from the B.57E, I'm not sure yet about the panel detail, my thinking at the moment is that the nose up to the front transport joint and from frame 31B back would apply to the British and American versions, but I'm waiting on some info that may help. I'll keep you posted. :)

John  

May 16, 2013 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Not too clear in the photo, but I've finished the re engraving of the new panels. I'll have to wait until the fusalage is together befor I can engrave the bomb bay door.

And so, on to the wings. I've filled all the non applicable Airfix panel lines and drawn on the new B.57A ones. The ones with the "X" in the centre are hatches.

John 

May 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

That's the upper wings done. :) I've now started on the underside, I don't know why, but I've found the .50cal. wing harder going than the 20mm one but not too bad I guess.

John

May 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Looking good John. I don't know about you but I usually find scribing the undersides is a lot harder than doing the uppers. I think it's the knowledge that even after all the hard work not a lot will be visible on the finished model. I still find myself having to do it properly though or it really bugs me!  Anal, who me?

May 19, 2013 at 5:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Yes I'm the same Gary, and to make it even more so there is much more to do on the underside! I've nicked one of your ideas and I'm going to put the engine cowling and tail pipe fairing

on before the underside of the wing so I can get it all nicely lined up and filled.

So, the underside is all engraved now, I've taken a photo of an unmodified wing for those that aren't familiar with the kit. I hope you can see an improvement :) 

John

May 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Just a quick heads-up. Should you decide to also glue the top half of the wing to the fuselage sides before adding the bottom half, you will need to remove the locating tab from the bottom half of the wing, or the wing will not fit. It's easy to do, I just chopped it off and glued it directly to the tab on the top wing half. It then also helps to reduce any flexing in the wing joint later on.

And don't forget to fit the compressor faces to the inside of the intakes first before fitting the intake to the top wing. It's a bit of a pain trying to fit them afterwards............. ask me how I know! :mad:

May 20, 2013 at 5:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Thanks for the advice Gary, but I can't see how any one could make such a fundamental error!  Not me, no never!  :P I don't think I'm good enough yet to try it like that so I'll just stick the wings together as normal and sort the resulting mess out as normal. :)

John

May 21, 2013 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Well the lads in the wing shop are having a well earned rest, so attention as turned to the pointy end and the place where the driver lives. One of the key points that the Pentagon and Martins flagged up for attention when they decided on the Canberra as the USAF's first "Jet light bombardment Airplane" was the ergonomics nightmare that was the British Cockpit. To that end Martins set about improving the hole area. It has to be said that what they came up with was light years ahead of the English Electric pit, but it lost all its character in the process. The pilot got a much better deal than the Nav. who lost two widows and gained what, for all the world looks something like a 1950's fitted Kitchen!  

But I digress, To get to the Martin cockpit I had to do a lot of deconstruction.

The kit part befor

and after

The raised part of the cockpit floor needs needs to be leveled off

The new parts, I've had to add the bottom of the canted pressure bulkhead after I removed the kit floor. 

And the basic cockpit ready for fitting out.

John

May 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

More kitchen fitting today, I've used a part of the kit floor to make the table that the various cabinets of the equipment sit on

This photo show the position of the table.

The next photo showing the cross beam which I've drilled two holes for, I did this for two reasons, first strength and second to get it properly aligned. I've also added the rail for the seat. Now these two items are in place I can line up all the extra equipment using them as reference points.

John 

May 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

It's interesting watching you model the changes that were made to the original Canberra cockpit John. Redesigning and improving things is certainly a national characteristic of the Americans.

Gary. 

May 23, 2013 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Too true Gary, not always for the best! So, back to the job in hand, all the port side is now fitted out, there is just one console to fit on the starboard side so that shouldn't take long, famous last words! and some black boxes to add above the rear box on the port side. I doubt much of what I've done will be seen once the two sides are joined, but that the way it goes. :)

John

May 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Two more photos after a bit of a tidy up and a tweak of the detail and a blast over with the grey primer.

John

May 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Looks good John. I can see now why the port side window had to be moved onto the starboard side.

Is the cockpit layout also the same for anyone modelling the B.57A or RB.57A? 

Gary.

May 24, 2013 at 3:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.