IPMS UK Canberra SIG

Forums

Forum Home > Photo Builds > Big ideas about a big wing

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Well seeing as the cat is almost out of the bag, I'll declare an interest in building an RB.57F in 1/48, I know I've not finished my TT.18 yet but this will be a long term project if it comes off at all! One of the things that has been a concern for me was the engine nacelle, after a lot of hunting around and thinking I've found something that fits the bill as with the bath panel for my RB.57D build this also comes from a domestic setting.

The answer, this! A real light bulb moment! :)

Has luck would have it the dimensions are just about spot on, close enough for me anyway, so after a bit of modification I now have two TF.33 engine nacelles,

John

--

English Electric Bradford (Aircraft Division)

Customer care and After sales service

August 18, 2018 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Good work on the intakes John. I love it when a plan comes together! It's amazing the places us modellers can find our materials. You can spend an eternity looking for something suitable and it's right under your nose all the time.

Looking forward to watching you build this one. If it turns out anything like your last bath-panel project it will look amazing 8)8)8) 

Gary :)

August 19, 2018 at 6:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Thanks Gary, it's quite a satisfying feeling when you find just the thing! My next headache was the wing chord of the F, it's much deeper at 261.5 inch than the standard Canberra's 228 inch, I was thinking hard about how I could do it, would I need to build a complete wing, root to tip? not something I was looking forward to, then I had a thought, how does it compare to the extended chord of the PR.9? The answer very close! happy days! I can now do it in the same way I did the RB.57D wing with just a new outer wing section. The new fin should be a straightforward exercise the next tricky bit will be the rows of vortex generators on the tail plains but that's more fiddly than anything.

John

--

August 19, 2018 at 7:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Sounds like you're on top of the game John. Lots of planning gone into this already. Looking forward to following your progress.

August 20, 2018 at 2:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at August 20, 2018 at 2:08 PM

Sounds like you're on top of the game John. Lots of planning gone into this already. Looking forward to following your progress.

I hope I can pull it off Gary, everything appears to be falling it place but there will be many opportunities for it to go wrong!  :)

John 

--

August 25, 2018 at 8:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Ive scaled up the drawing of the wing section minus the tip as that will be a solid plastic card item. I've tried it out on the section of bath panel I have left and barring any mishaps I should have enough which is good! I hope to have enough left over for the fin as well. This is the PR.9 wing on the plan, it's BIG!!

And in comparison with the RB.57D, it's still BIG!!!

John

--

August 25, 2018 at 8:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

--

August 25, 2018 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

As it stands, this is the one I'm going for, 63-13286 the first RB.57F built, this and the second RB.57F 63-13287 were built specifically for Pee Wee III. Pee Wee I, II&III were all monitoring flights from Pakistan of Soviet weapons tests, all flown by Canberra's. If I can't crack the J.60 pod issue I my go for a NASA WB.57F but that's a long way down the road yet.

John

--

August 26, 2018 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Nice work John. The wings look impressive laid out on the bath panel. Let the cutting commence! 8)

Gary.

August 27, 2018 at 1:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at August 27, 2018 at 1:34 AM

Nice work John. The wings look impressive laid out on the bath panel. Let the cutting commence! 8)

Gary.

Thanks Gary, thankfully the span isn't much grater than the D but the corde is much deeper wich as it works out is OK,  I could do with a set of the B.57 resin wheels from that secret site in Lincoln :)

John

--

August 27, 2018 at 5:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

The men in dark glasses are on the case 8)

August 27, 2018 at 4:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at August 27, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Thanks Gary, bugger, I've blown your cover! :)

John

--

September 1, 2018 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

The seat's have arrived, as is often the case, Aeroclub are the only place to go, there isn't another option for the correct marque of seat.

John

--

September 1, 2018 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Mr.Canberra at September 1, 2018 at 8:31 AM

Meteor74 at August 27, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Thanks Gary, bugger, I've blown your cover! :)

John

Yes, but is it really me! 8)

The seats look good. I'm starting to miss Aeroclub, they made some good aftermarket stuff and not only for us Canberra freaks.

Gary.

September 1, 2018 at 4:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

A bit of work on the wings, I had the choice of using the Classic Air frames or Airfix wheel wells, after thinking about it I decided on the Airfix one's for two reasons, 1, on the RB.57D and RB.57F as a weight saving measure as much unnecessary equipment was removed or re-designed so the very nice CA resin wheel well's would be a bit too good, 2 The method of attachment of the main u/c leg to the well, CA have gone for a very authentic attachment which on the B.57B's is fine but for what is going to me a very heavy model I thought the Airfix square peg in a square hole would make for a stronger joint. I've ordered the SAC white metal set for the Airfix B.57.

I've also removed the outer wing section.

The wings are now cut out, I'm starting to get a sense of just how big this going to be! :)

John

--

September 3, 2018 at 2:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Nice work John. You're getting a bit good at this bath panel malarky. Looking forward to your further progress. 

September 4, 2018 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Thanks Gary, perhaps I should re muster as a Bathroom fitter :) Well, after 45 minutes work with an orbital sander I've got the trailing edge to something I can work with. 

John

--

September 5, 2018 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Looks good John. Do you find it an easy material to work on? I should imagine it's quite brittle. Do you need to build the leading edge up with anything to acheive the rounded profile or is the material thick enough to acheive this by sanding?

September 8, 2018 at 2:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at September 8, 2018 at 2:20 AM

Looks good John. Do you find it an easy material to work on? I should imagine it's quite brittle. Do you need to build the leading edge up with anything to acheive the rounded profile or is the material thick enough to acheive this by sanding?

It's not bad at all Gary, a few passes with a Stanley Knife and it's through and in the size I'm building it's very flexible, as for the leading edge, from what I remember from my D build it was a combination of both, shape and fill. I've cut out the fin today, and removed the fin from an old spaer B(I)8 fuselage so I can work on the fit without too much disturbance to the B.57 I'll be using for the build. I will be using the Airfix kit this time my last CA B.57 will be an RB.57C thus completing the set from A to G

John

--

September 9, 2018 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Blimey, that fin is huge compared to the original. I hadn't realized quite how big it was. :o

Gary.

September 10, 2018 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.