IPMS UK Canberra SIG

Forums

Forum Home > Photo Builds > Early RB.57E in 1/72

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Now I've made the decision to go FROG with the wings I've had to go through the marking out for re scribing process all over again. Whilst I was about it I took the opportunity to checkout in more depth the accuracy of the FROG wing, and they do measure up very well in all dimensions and even the panel detail is very good.

I've also marked out the missing bits from the British wing too such as the extra landing lights position for the fuel vapor vent mast's and the underwing pylons for the TFR pod. The pencil line is just a guide for the scribing which will be much neater! :)

John

--

English Electric Bradford (Aircraft Division)

Customer care and After sales service

March 11, 2017 at 11:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

I think you've gone for the right option there John and top marks for perseverence. :)

Gary.

March 12, 2017 at 3:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at March 12, 2017 at 3:11 AM

I think you've gone for the right option there John and top marks for perseverence. :)

Gary.

Thank Gary I tend to agree, the FROG wings are far better!

John

--

March 12, 2017 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Though it true pride comes before a fall, I must say I'm quite chuffed with the new wings, although it's hard to see on the photos I think I've made a better job the second time around, What you say?

John

--

March 12, 2017 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Top job John.  Looks excellent! 8)

March 13, 2017 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Thanks Gary, she's coming along. :)  This a photo of her at the time I'm building her in note the TFR pod under the right wing I think 55-4245 was only one of two RB,57E's to be fitted with one

John

--

March 14, 2017 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I'm back to it after a short brake in North Wales, I've been working on the wings. The first job was modifying the gas vents on the engine fronts, like much of the kit Italeri managed to get this wrong, but so did Airfix. Unlike the Avon powered Canberra that employed the same black powder starter system, the B.57's Wright J.65 only had one gas vent, the kit has two. It's a fairly easy job to chop one off and re dress the compressor disc to look something like.

The front of the nacelles on the FROG wing need trimming back to match the diameter of the Italeri compressor discs which is good as the nacelles are a tab too long. I've also fitted the resin wheel bays and joined the wings, they will need some filling as there are a few sink marks on the flaps and wing tips.

The fuselage has had a good looking over and a coat of grey primer to show up any panel lines that need fixing there are some but not too many, which is nice! As you'll see in the next photo I tried out the parts to see how she looks, she measures out out about 6 inches too long.
I've now added the intakes for the engine driven generators, oddly despite this being a conversion of the B.57E which had a double generator on each engine the RB.57E has the single type as fitted to the B model. You can also see the filling on the flaps where the sinking had occurred. Other than a wee bit of re-scribing and a touch more filler, the wings are done. oh, there is also the gun camera window.

I think that's about it for the wings for now, I've done some more filling on the fuselage and I hope to get some work done on the sensor bay.

John

--

April 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I've marked out the position of the various camera/sensor windows, I'll rub down the filler and drill and shape the windows tomorrow.

John

--

April 8, 2017 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I've opened up the windows, all went ok except the one for the IR line scanner, the plastic must have been very thin in this area as you can see in the red box, also the seam has split!

luckily for me there is a frame to go around this window, but I still need to fix the split, but it could have been much worse!

John

--

April 9, 2017 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Good fix on the line-scanner window John. It's nice when it's an easy fix for a change instead of the usually headbanger!

She's coming on at pace now. Keep up the good work.

Gary :)

April 9, 2017 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at April 9, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Good fix on the line-scanner window John. It's nice when it's an easy fix for a change instead of the usually headbanger!

She's coming on at pace now. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Gary, it's turning into a BIG job, I will do a parts count when it's all done just to see how many Italeri parts I used, I have a feeling it won't be that many! :)

John

--

April 15, 2017 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

The last of the major airframe mods to make the B into an E, so it was out with the Milliput! The first is the modified tail cone which was a leftover from the E's days as a Target Tug,(Tow Target) I'm not really sure why this mod was done but it was, so it has to be done. The next was another left over from the T.T. days and this was a much extended tail bumper, the purpose for this is known, it was to clear the two target banner tubes mounted on the lower rear fuselage.

It's a shame all that lovely detail in the airbrake bay is fictitious as it looks really nice

The old and now sadly long gone C-Scale white metal Patrica Lynn nose is by far the most accurate rendition of this distinctive feature, As good as it is the one I have is unfortunately not circular in profile, I lined it up on the top side and built up the lower side with Milliput to make good. This will need more fine tuning but it will help a lot with making things right. I will also drill out the front camera window.

That's about it now for the fuselage, I'll now try to sort out the cockpit, more fun to came!

John

--

April 15, 2017 at 8:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

One thing from the Italeri kit that would be useful for a B/RB.57E build is the rear instrument panel, which although not an available build option in the kit is that of a B.57E, but before we get too excited at the prospect of being able to use a bit of the Italeri kit, it would appear the Patrica Lynn RB.57E's were retro fitted with the standard B.57B navigators panel! Thankfully, the Czech Master set has this part in the cockpit set.

The cockpit tub in the kit is ok if a bit simple, the CM replacement is as you would hope, much better with a very good level of detail, one thing they both have in common is the rear cockpit, they both have boxed in side wall's this is not the case on the real aircraft as the fuselage sides form the outer wall of the rear cockpit. The area marked in red need removing, this applies to all B.57's

After that was done the next small mod and the only thing I know of on the Patty Lynn E's was a small TV monitor in the rear cockpit for the GIB to watch live images from the sensors

John

--

April 15, 2017 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I've now attached some plastic card "wings" to bridge the gap between the side consoles and the fuselage sides, these will need trimming back to fit, I've also added the Airfix rear bulkhead also to fill the gap.

John

--

April 16, 2017 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

A bit more progress, The cockpit now fits.

John

--

April 16, 2017 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Lots of good work going on there John. The cockpit is starting to look very nice now. As for the new tail-skid, now that's what I call a tail-skid!

Looking forward to seeing how the the finished model compares with Italeri's original. As you mention, it will be interesting to do a parts count when you've finished. I think we may have to start calling you Dr. Frankenstein after this one. Far from being a monster though. She's looking superb 8)

April 17, 2017 at 5:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at April 17, 2017 at 5:17 AM

Lots of good work going on there John. The cockpit is starting to look very nice now. As for the new tail-skid, now that's what I call a tail-skid!

Looking forward to seeing how the the finished model compares with Italeri's original. As you mention, it will be interesting to do a parts count when you've finished. I think we may have to start calling you Dr. Frankenstein after this one. Far from being a monster though. She's looking superb 8)

I think it has turned into a bit of a monster! I wasn't expecting to have to replace the wings too, the Italeri parts are disappearing fast! Talking of the wings, due to the fact that the main wheel well ended up with a double thickness of wall where it joins the fuselage, this was due to the resin bay having the end wall and the kit wing also having an end wall, in reality there should be non as the fuselage side forms that end of the bay, I've decided to cut out that part of the wing. I have also removed the location tab as the upper half of the wing overhung the bottom by quite a lot. This will aide the strength of the joint, I will add a new spare.

April 22, 2017 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

More wing work, the wheel well's in the FROG wing are set more toward the wing leading edge than those of the Airfix kit, this means I'm going to do a bit of adjustment. The red marks are where the FROG well falls the yellow the Airfix.

The next problem with the FROG Airfix mix is the FROG wing is much deeper than the Airfix one, this results in quite a deep trench to fill, I've lined up the top edge as best I can meaning the worst of the filling will be on the underside.

A much easier job was cutting the wing tip to take the Italeri Navigation lights, Hurra! one more bit of the Italeri kit I can use!

I've just done a quick parts count and I think as it stands I'll be useing 16 Italeri kit parts out of the 50+ parts used to build the model! That will go up to 20 if I use the Italeri tip tanks.

John

--

April 22, 2017 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

It might be hard work making all these various kit parts mate well with each other, but I'll tell you what John, it's instantly recognizable to the eye that this is a much improved B-57. As the birdwatchers out there would say, "It's got the right Jizz about it."  

Keep up the good work John and ignore the parts count!

April 23, 2017 at 2:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Thanks Gary, it is looking a lot more B.57 shaped than the Airfix or Italeri kit's as they come.

Almost set for join up of the fuselage to nose, all being well, this will be the last BIG job! Although the camera nose is white metal and quite heavy I've added a wee bit more nose weight, just in case!

--

April 29, 2017 at 6:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.