IPMS UK Canberra SIG

Forums

Forum Home > Photo Builds > Early RB.57E in 1/72

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

It's been on my to do list for some time so I thought my 57th year would be a good as an excuse as any to try to build an accurate B.57 Canberra. The two options out there Airfix and Italeri both fall short of an accurate representation of the real thing, so I hope by combining the best elements of each kit and throwing in a bit of Matchbox PR.9 I will get to something a bit more like. Not content with a fairly big kit-bash I'm also going to re-scribe it! Well that's the plan. The first photo is the component parts I'm planning on using, I may or may not use the Pavla cockpit set, I've not decided yet.

John

--

English Electric Bradford (Aircraft Division)

Customer care and After sales service

January 29, 2017 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bob the builder
Well, this should be interesting to keep an eye on. I'll be able to see what I should have done! Good luck on this!
--
RAL
January 29, 2017 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

You seem to be well tooled-up there John! :D

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Gary :)

January 30, 2017 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I think I just have gone mad Gary, but I've been wanting to do this for some time, I may well regret it! :)

John

--

February 4, 2017 at 8:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Ive marked out the areas that will need re engraving which I've highlighted in black and the fictitious or not appropriate to the B.57 in red. the bits that I've not highlighted will be kept but rubbed down. I've also re engraved the tail planes.

John

--

February 4, 2017 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

That all went better than I thought! But that was the easy bit, all nice a flat, the fuselage will be a bit more of a challenge I guess. :) All looks ok, just a few minor bits to tidy up.:)

John

--

February 4, 2017 at 10:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

The last bit of engraving on the wings(I hope) I've added the flair dispensers on what would have been the under side access hatch for the 20mm canons. The dispensers contain 108 photo flash flairs, this would mean 108 tiny holes to be drilled, on each side I may pass on that!

John

--

February 5, 2017 at 11:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Fuselage time, I've checked over what needs adding and what needs removing, surprisingly the Airfix B.57 shapes up well, in some ways better than the Italeri in the respect of the panes with just a few missing and a few needing removing. I've marked the new ones in blue and the ones that removing in red.

John

--

February 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Lots of good work going on there John. I take it that the cannons were removed completely on the RB.57E to allow space for the flare fit?

Stocks of Dymo tape must be running pretty low now in West Yorkshire! Keep up the good work mate.

February 6, 2017 at 4:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Thanks Gary, I hope I can see it through :) 

John

--

February 11, 2017 at 6:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Good news Bad news time! The good news is I don't need to drill 108 tiny holes in the wing, the bad news is, that's because the E I'm building 55-4245 didn't have the photo flash dispensers in the wing, so it's out with the filler to remove the dispensers in the canon doors. The RB.57E I want to buld had the dispenser in the fuselage, I'd know about this mod for some time but I had managed to persuade may self it was only used on the ANG RB.57E's and not the Patrica Lynn aircraft, but after talking with David Kermes a man who should know as he was a maintainer on the Patrica Lynn E's right from the very start! I've dug out the drawings from the parts T.O. The new position is on the rear fuselage circled in red on the photo, more good news is it had a detachable cover, so no holes! Happy days :). Another unique thing about 245 will be revealed later in the build.

John

--

February 11, 2017 at 6:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I've made a bit of progress, the fuselage and nose are now re-scribed I've joind them up so I can make sure that every thing lines up and is square, I will need to adjust some of the lines, but over all not too bad.

The next job after fitting out will be geting the wings together.

John

--

February 26, 2017 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chuck Holte

Mr.Canberra at February 26, 2017 at 9:40 AM

I've made a bit of progress, the fuselage and nose are now re-scribed I've joind them up so I can make sure that every thing lines up and is square, I will need to adjust some of the lines, but over all not too bad.

The next job after fitting out will be geting the wings together.

John

February 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Looking good John. A much more pleasing shape to the whole fuselage now. I think Martin did a good job redesigning the nose on the B.57. It's aesthetically perfect in my opinion.

February 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at February 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Looking good John. A much more pleasing shape to the whole fuselage now. I think Martin did a good job redesigning the nose on the B.57. It's aesthetically perfect in my opinion.

She does look even more sleek in the B.57 version, I wish I could find the proof that it was EE that came up with the tandem cockpit but so far I only have word of mouth, but who ever it was it does look good! I guess if EE had got the nod from Whitehall the cockpit would still have been a mess :)

John

--

March 5, 2017 at 9:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I've put some filler on the fuselage, so whilst that is drying I thought I'd turn my attention to the wings, I wish I hadn't! as with the Italeri fuselage I always suspected there was something not quite right about the wings but as I was more bothered by the fuselage I never got around to checking the wings out fully. So other than the shallow wheel wells and the spurious detail, what else is wrong? Well' I've taken a photo of the Airfix wing and Italeri wing over layed on the most dymetuanal accurate drawing I know of and this is what it shows.

As you can see the Italeri wing is well short on cord, the Aileron is a foot short and the span is under, the Airfix is not perfect but a hell of a lot closer. So It looks like I'm going to have to go with the Airfix wing now, I'll take a look at the FROF and "new" Airfix B(I)8 wings to see if they would work better. Such fun!! :)

John

--

March 5, 2017 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Hum, quite a difference there John. Perhaps Italeri may have had to alter their wing to make up for the shape issues on their fuselage. It will be interesting to see how the other wings compare. Nobody said it would be easy! :|

Gary.

March 5, 2017 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at March 5, 2017 at 10:15 AM

Hum, quite a difference there John. Perhaps Italeri may have had to alter their wing to make up for the shape issues on their fuselage. It will be interesting to see how the other wings compare. Nobody said it would be easy! :|

Gary.

It is interesting when you start to look at the kit how much is wrong and easy is not a word you can use on tis build that's for sure but I thought it wouldn't be :) To that end,

I've dug out the Airfix and FROG B(I)8 wings to check them against the same plan and as you will see the FROG wings are as near as anything spot on! The new Airfix wings aren't that far off either, again a bit of a discrepancy with the span of the Aileron, this time too long, and the tip shape but otherwise quite close, now the thing is do I go FROG or Airfix? I'm thinking FROG, I will need to add wingtip lights which I have in stock, and wheel bays also I will not easily be able to drop the flaps but over all a better prospect. The wing is deeper on the FROG kit whach will mean I need to build fill the step whach I've done before and it's not that bad a job.

John

--

March 5, 2017 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

It's amazing how accurate a lot of the Frog kits seem to be, despite their age. All produced in an age before computers, CAD, etc. If you're not bothered about dropping the flaps I think I'd go for the Frog, as you say. Flaps down, I think probably new Airfix and try to sort out the wingtips. The strip which runs along the top edge of the inboard flap would make up the difference in span there, against the drawing. 

Gary.

March 6, 2017 at 5:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at March 6, 2017 at 5:39 AM

It's amazing how accurate a lot of the Frog kits seem to be, despite their age. All produced in an age before computers, CAD, etc. If you're not bothered about dropping the flaps I think I'd go for the Frog, as you say. Flaps down, I think probably new Airfix and try to sort out the wingtips. The strip which runs along the top edge of the inboard flap would make up the difference in span there, against the drawing. 

Gary.

It is Gary, the wings are very good it will be interesting to see how the rest of the kit shapes up. 

John

--

March 11, 2017 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.