IPMS UK Canberra SIG

Forums

Forum Home > Photo Builds > Canberra B(I)8 mod WT333

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

My next build Canberra B(I)8 mod WT333

So here we go, I’ve started the work with the nose, I intend to build this with a removable nose cone so rather that use a resin one I’m going to use the Airfix B.57G radar noes. There is a problem with this, as you would expect, after all it’s the Airfix Canberra! Airfix have moulded the radar nose with a slight tapper, this is wrong as it should be a constant, tube with parallel sides, with a semi hemispherical radome, as you will see from the photo it is also too short for the B.(I) mod so I’ve added a bit from a spare G nose, again due to the taper this will need building up.

I'll be getting out the white stuff and filling and building up for quite some time I guess.

John

September 5, 2015 at 7:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I’ve started to modify the cockpit interior to represent the modified lay out used on all the long nose RAE Pershore Canberra’s. This modification involved moving the navigator and his equipment from the port side behind the pilot to the starboard side so the test equipment could be installed on a “standardised” racking system. The electrical panel at the right side of the pilot was also modified that’s why I’ve cut the top of the kit part.

befor

after

John

September 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

A bit more work on the cockpit, I've added the upper part of the modified ECP and the frames for the equipment racks.

John

September 6, 2015 at 5:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Neat work John and looking good already. I assume you took the chance to take lots of pics when you went for your ride in her?

What's the idea for the removable nose? Do I sense some major league scratchbuilding coming on?

Gary :) 

September 6, 2015 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at September 6, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Neat work John and looking good already. I assume you took the chance to take lots of pics when you went for your ride in her?

What's the idea for the removable nose? Do I sense some major league scratchbuilding coming on?

Gary :) 

Right on boath counts Gary :-)

John

September 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

A bit of work on the nose radar, as I said at the start, I intend to build it in such a way that I can remove the radome to display the experiment. You may spot the step around the nose and the extension, this will be faired in with milliput when it's all fixed in place.

John

September 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Looking good John. Do you have any background info for us on what type of work 333 was involved in at this time? Looks like an interesting airframe.

Gary :)

September 6, 2015 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Hi Gary, I’m building her at the time she was involved in the re calibration of the Harpoon weapon, apparently when the RAF were interested in acquiring the Harpoon it needed to have it’s software re calibrated to account for the different sea states in the North Atlantic, this involved 333 flying attack profiles and recording the various differences it encountered so the weapon system could be tuned to our neck of the woods.

I've now added some of the black boxes in the back, although I have photos of this area I'm only going for a "feel" of what it looks like as next to nothing will be seen, having said that it's quite close to how it should look. All of what is there apart from the white plastic card has come from other Canberra kits. When I get the cross member fitted I can add more kit above what’s there and start to fit out the Navigators station on the other side of the cockpit.

John

September 12, 2015 at 10:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Nice work John and good use of all those spare bits.

Thanks for the info on the Harpoon trials. Very interesting. I assume the trial results weren't too impressive and that we ended up with Martel instead. I can't recall the RAF ever using Harpoon, unless I'm mistaken.

Edit.     Just done some Google searching and Harpoon was used on the Nimrod fleet and was a very effective weapon system. Shows what I know! :D

September 13, 2015 at 5:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Ha, that’s it Gary, I was trying to think what used the Harpoon, I’d forgotten the Nimrod. I was thinking Buccaneer or Tornado.

I've now started the long and tedious task of eradicating the fictional Airfix panel lines and engraving the new accurate ones. I also need to fill some of the holes and intakes meant for other kit options.

September 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chuck Holte

Looking good John!  I'm enjoying watching this one come together from the inside out.  Keep up the great work!

chuck

September 13, 2015 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Thanks Chuck! Well it's time to get back to it! The wings have been re scribed, I've highlighted in pencil the new panels and scribbled through the incorrect one Airfix added. not too bad a job, but I wish it wasn't necessary! Any way that's done just the flying surfaces tail planes and fuselage to do now, such fun! :-)

More progress, most of the re engraving is done, what's left is just small things like the control surfaces. The first photo is the tail plains, Airfix didn't get the detail wrong on these, but only because there is no detail what so ever! Why? Only Airfix know. I've marked them top and bottom as the detail is slightly different top and bottom.  

Before

After

The fuselage has undergone the same process, I've scribbled out the incorrect Airfix lines, and highlighted the new B(I)8 applicable panel lines. Some of the Airfix lines actually do exist on the actual Canberra!

John

November 1, 2015 at 2:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Looking better already John. You've done this before, methinks! ;)

November 2, 2015 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Indeed Gary, all too often! Well, it's time to get back on the horse! I've done what will no doubt be the first of a few passes with the filler, which will lead to a bit of re scribing too but it needs to be done.

I've also added the cockpit cross member, this part is a very important and totally over looked item, although Airfix have given a nod to it's existence in the shape of a thin flat sticky out bit on the Nav's instrument consol.

John

December 5, 2015 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Cockpit looks great John. It looks so much better with the cross member in place. I think I shall start adding it to my builds too in future.

Carry on that man. Looking good!

Gary  :)

December 9, 2015 at 3:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

oldeng

Hi John

Where did you get the measurement from for the cross member? I have been trolling drawings but as yet I have not found it.

Regards

Vic Ward

December 21, 2015 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Hi Vic

Do you mean the position or diameter? If it's the former, I worked it out via photos and drawings in various AP's, if the latter? It's estimate.

John

December 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

oldeng

Hi John

Thanks for your reply, it is the position that I cannot appear to get right, I have studied AP's but can only get an approx. position. I may need to have a check on a full size cockpit to get it right.

Regards

Vic

December 21, 2015 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Hi Vic

Hot off the press, I had a friend run a tape over a PR.7 cockpit and measure the distance from the coming above the main instrument panel to the cross member and it comes out at 441/2 inch I hope that helps?

John

December 31, 2015 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

oldeng

Many thanks John, I can now continue with the build

Regards

Vic

January 6, 2016 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.