IPMS UK Canberra SIG

Forums

Forum Home > Photo Builds > A B.2 for uncle Sam.

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

The topic for my next build in 1/48 will be B.2 WD932

This was the first Canberra flown out to The USA as a paten aircraft for the Martin B.57A Canberra. She was an early B.2 with all the pre mod bits missing, but because it’s a Canberra it can’t be a simple build, oh no, the main issue with her is the undercarriage, not only dose she sport knobbly tyres, but a very non standard wheel hub, as you will see from the following photograph, I have no idea what it’s about, I think it may be an early anti skid brake system, but I don’t know for sure. The question is do I try to replicate it? This is the only photo I’ve ever seen of it. Don’t you just love Canberra’s!

John

April 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

After scanning and re-scaling all the relevant drawings from the Canberra AP, all nine of them! I’ve printed off the pages ready for the battle of the panel line! It’s an interesting exercise in so much as it reveals how much discrepancy there is between the kit and the drawings. The nose contours are quite close, but the other parts of the air frame have quite a few differences. The drawings in the AP were never meant to be a scale plan, but with the nose being so close it makes you think, well it dose me.

John
April 12, 2014 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Filling begins! :)

John

April 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Scribing begins! :)

John 

April 13, 2014 at 9:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Neat choice John. Looking forward to learning more about this one as you progress. Interesting about the different wheel hubs. Maybe something to do with the decision to redesign the wheels on the B-57 perhaps?

Gary :)

April 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary West

You mind those fingers John :D

--

Completed builds  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets

April 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Some very nice models there Gary! Thanks for the advice :)

John

April 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

That’s the wings top and bottom re-engraved, next up is the tail planes which for some reason only known to Airfix are totally devoid of detail.

John

April 17, 2014 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Tail planes marked out ready to cut.

John

April 17, 2014 at 8:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Good progress John. I think you've just about got the hang of this rescribing business!  8)

April 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Meteor74 at April 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Good progress John. I think you've just about got the hang of this rescribing business!  8)

If I am Gary, it due to far too much practice! :/

Todays jobs will be to open up the various windows and lights that Airfix missed. Working from nose to tail they are, The bomb aimers secondary window, this was standard on every B.2, downward identification lights, these too are very much a standard fixture on Canberra’s, but as it’s a Canberra we have to be careful, they were often modified/deleted. In this time frame they were the standard three colour ident lights, later they were modified to just one white light in the centre. The next one is the round window just aft of the bomb bay doors, this is for the bomb recorder camera. The last one is the one at the tail end this is for a white navigation light, this too is standard on all Canberra’s except the B.57’s and perhaps RAAF aircraft.

You will also see I’ve fitted the bomb bay doors at this stage, I’ve found that the fit of the doors is at best tricky, so I thought this may be a better way to tackle this problem, so far so good.

John

April 19, 2014 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I’m almost at the point where I can start building. The last of the major fixes have now been done. The leading edge of fin has been re-shaped, the fairing at the rear of the tail planes has been removed,

I’ve also removed some 2mm from the rear of the tab on the tail planes, this will allow me to correct the profile of the leading edge which should follow the line of the tail but on the model is stops then goes 90 degrees. I’ve also blunted the tip of the tail cone, which is a wee bit too pointed as it comes.

John

April 19, 2014 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

more marking out and scribing.

John

April 20, 2014 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Good work John and an excellent illustration of the various windows and lights on the undersurface of the fuselage too.

April 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

I think I can declare myself happy with the state of the panel lines and move on. I will need to some fine tuning, but that can wait until the construction phase. The next job will be to start fitting out the cockpit. As this is one of the very first B.2’s built the cockpit is a very basic almost WW.2 style. At this time the Canberra was still very new and the RAF and English Electric were still working out the best places to put various bits of kit. I’ve just taken a lode of photos of the nose of WH903 (see the B.2 and B.2 cockpit albums) at Yorkshire Air Museum which although it’s had a hard life as a traveling exhibit with the RAF and at the museum it still gives a good I idea what the inside of the early Canberra looked like, including the Mk.1 seat.

John

April 23, 2014 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

This morning I’ve drilled the hole through which I’ll insert the cockpit cross member, this is the main beam that the pilots seat rail is attached too. This helps bring things back into line as I found on my EB.57A build, the kit cockpit interior is a bit too far back, perhaps to line up with the opening which because of it’s incorrect shape is too big. The resin insert is for correcting the shape of the cockpit opening from that of the canopy with fairing to the round shape it should be, another, what should have been unnecessary job, thanks Airfix!

John

April 24, 2014 at 5:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Time for some more hacking; the Airfix cockpit parts need some modification to better represent the B.2 office. The very front part of the bomb aimers position needs shortening to a pint in front of the secondary window in the underside of the nose. The panel housing the Navigators instruments needs to be modified in shape and re-positioned, more of this as I start to build it. I’ve also secured one end of the cross member to the port fuselage so I can start to fit out the cockpit.

The cockpit parts before modification

and after

and the cross member fitted to the port side

John

April 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

The seat rail is in place, it this stage it is just attached at the bottom so I can take it in and out for painting and fitting other bits of kit.

I’ve also added the Navigators equipment, using a mix of kit parts and scratch build.

John

April 25, 2014 at 6:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Meteor74

Looking good John. I haven't replicated the cross member on any of my builds so far but must start making the effort as it's quite a noticeable feature in the cockpit. Keep up the good progress.

April 26, 2014 at 4:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Canberra
Administrator

Thanks Gary, I've only started to add it from the EB.57A that means I have around 6 with out, do I retro fit them? I don't think so! :) 

This morning I’ve taken a bit of a detour, I’m having a go at adding a more accurate bomb aimers window on the nose cap. The one on the kit part is far too small. The one on the left is the modified one, the one on the right is the kit one as it comes.

John

April 26, 2014 at 5:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.